From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:58:48 GMT
"Ralph D. White" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>The Boult on Everest is my first choice for the Vaughan Williams, and
>certainly Bloch's own recording, with Marko Rothmuller as the cantor, is my
>choice for the Avodath Hakodesh.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you if either
>has been issued on CD.  Both were mono only, but definitive performances.
>I do not believe there was ever an Abravanel recording.

I agree that either Boult or Previn are my two favorite conductors of
Vaughn William's music.  I don't know if the Boult on Everest is the same
recordings at Boult on EMI (British Composers Series) available in the U.S.
These are middle-60s recordings, but the sonics are very good.  There's no
evidence that EMI has remastered the recordings, but judging from the
sonics, they either didn't need to, or they did so clandestinely.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco