From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:25:52 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>As far as what any degree is worth in CM it may be worthwhile to remember
>that most of the composers we hear nowadays did not have them at all (J.
>S. Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven).  Brahms' degree was honorary, and
>Verdi couldn't get into the conservatory of his choice.

I am a product of private piano lessons and individual study of piano
literature through the local libraries and PBS -TV and PNR and other
classical stations.  Practically every biography of the masters enlightens
us that the composers as a whole were poor, dependent on the whims of
sponsors, courtyards and fellow musicians.  Formal training only seems to
serve the outsider trying to put a judgement on your "expertise".  I have
never had to produce a diploma to teach a lesson, or get invited to play
for others or been put down for not having a degree in music.  People say
I know music history, can converse about various styles of music, and can
hum along on most of the classical music I hear.  Not so of the pop music.
I enjoy the professionalism of the broadway composers, the dedication of
the actor/singers performing but it does not have complexity of the
classical music.

At one point in the 70's I went to have an interview at Temple to see what
I would need to take to qualify for entry into the MA program and found
that not only did I have the qualifications for the entry level, I also
had completed most of the works for the degree itself.  I never stop being
challenged to learn more about classical music.  Maybe teachers in school
need teaching credits to handle classrooms and curriculum requirements,
but many who have done volunteer work in hospitals and schools, community
cultural programs have jumped in and interned on the job.  Some of the most
talented musical people find their niche outside formal training in order
to develop his/her special talents to perfection.  I agree with you that
sheepskins are good for sheep but not necessary for job performance.  I
hope eventually our point of view can become the norm rather than the
exception.  Regards,

Jane