From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:07:41 +0100
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>And what about the Delius Mass for Life? Try to get hold of the recording
>- now deleted because of copyright problems - with Norman del Mar and Kiri
>te Kanawa.  That performance confirms the greatness of this neglected
>masterpiece and composer.

Delius is not a friend of mine, but I would like to put in that Norman del
Mar belong to those underrated musicians indeed.  Much of what he has done
is very find indeed.

>Did you notice that all of these are British? Could it be that, in this
>century, British composers have brought choral music to an unparalleled
>level?

I think the Choral music of Allan Pettersson also to be very fine.  I mean
the "Barefusslieder" that has been reshaped into chorals by Eskil Hemberg
and Antal Dorati.  One so beutifully singing like Schubert - the other
resembles the orchestral song of Gustav Mahler.  Pettersson - Not so deep
to text but the musick is fine.

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>