From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:18:41 +1100
Roy Ellefsen asked for recommendations for Vaughan Williams' Job.  There
are three Boult versions (Belart, EMI, Everest).  There's not a lot to
choose between them and it may come down to couplings.  Belart gives you
an almost complete Wasps in rather elderly sound.  EMI (1970s) has the
Partita.  My favourite is the Everest which is very closely miked, not as
well-recorded as the EMI but IMO a stronger performance, also has Wasps Ov
and Arnold Scottish Dances (delightful pieces).  I've heard the Handley
only once but remember liking it.  Really, whichever you choose, you'll
get a good version.

Richard Pennycuick