From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:00:37 PST
Jeff Tedford wrote:

>Now if someone will help me with the Musical Offering, the Art of
>The Fugue, The English Suites and French Suites, I'll be grateful.

I'd be proud to help out.  Ulvi has already provided some great
recommendations; any repetition from me just adds merit to his
recommendation:

Musical Offering - Ulvi's choices are right on target; Nikolayeva's
selections on Hyperion are outstanding.

Art of The Fugue - Ulvi's recommendation of Nikolayeva is perfect.  On
harpsichord, I like Gilbert on Archiv.  Try out Marriner for the "Offering"
and "Fugue" on a Philips duo.

English Suites - I haven't been too thrilled by any piano versions,
but Martins on Concord Concerto and Gould on Sony would be at the top.
I favor Leonhardt on harpsichord.

French Suites - I have a soft spot for Gavrilov on EMI; Hewitt on
Hyperion is also very fine.  Give Jarrett on harpsichord(ECM) a try.

There are so many fine recordings of each of the above works that you
would almost have to go out of your way to end up with a dud.  I
honestly can't currently recall any duds at all.

Don Satz