Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:24:06 -0400
From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Miguel Muelle wrote:

>Jon Johanning wrote:
>
>>On the other hand, if they mean to get ordinary Americans interested in CM,
>>hitting them with long subtitled interviews in Russian and Italian won't
>>help; we Yanks aren't interested in anything that isn't in English, and
>>subtitles just give us the impression of something arty and pretentious.
>
>..so much for 99% of opera:o(

I was thinking mostly of subtitles on movies, which have never appealed
to anyone in this country but intellectuals (and you know who you are).
Supertitles in opera performances seem to be catching on, but the only
experience I have had with them gave me the odd feeling that I was watching
the whole thing on film.  I'd rather just have the old-fashioned stage plus
orchestra, even if I don't understand the language at all (in the case I
witnessed, it was Janacek).

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]