Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:18:53 GMT
From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>For some reason, I have been reluctant to start a serious exploration of
>the repertoire of Nordic composers, first and foremost Sibelius.  ...  I
>know I will be chastised for not necessarily wanting to choose the best
>performance available for each work, but would the box with the complete
>symphonies by the Deutsches Sinfonie Orchester under Sanderling be a safe
>bet?

You bet!  This is my favorite set of Sibelius, and I have seven sets.
Sanderling has some of the most exquisite sonics ever recorded, and
nuances I've never heard before come through clearly but not overbearingly.
Sanderling's soaring rush over the Nordic hills often leave me breathless
and starry-eyed.  Many other sets can be had, and there may be some better,
but for all around pleasure, you can't go wrong with this delectable
collection.  Plus, the price is right.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco