Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:15:58 -0600
From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
A little food for thought from the age of enlightenment--

   [begin quote] There are some very agreeable and beautiful talents of
   which the possession commands a certain sort of admiration; but of
   which the exercise for the sake of gain is considered, whether from
   reason or prejudice, as a sort of public prostitution.  The pecuniary
   recompense, therefore, of those who exercise them in this manner must
   be sufficient, not only to pay for the time, labour, and expense of
   acquiring the talents, but for the discredit which attends the
   employment of them as the means of subsistence.  The exorbitant
   rewards of players, opera-singers, opera-dancers, etc., are founded
   upon those two principles; the rarity and beauty of the talents, and
   the discredit of employing them in this manner.  It seems absurd at
   first sight that we should despise their persons and yet reward their
   talents with the most profuse liberality.  While we do the one,
   however, we must of necessity do the other.  Should the public opinion
   or prejudice ever alter with regard to such occupations, their
   pecuniary recompense would quickly diminish.  More people would apply
   to them, and the competition would quickly reduce the price of their
   labour.  Such talents, though far from being common, are by no means
   so rare as is imagined.  Many people possess them in great perfection,
   who disdain to make this use of them; and many more are capable of
   acquiring them, if anything could be made honourably by them.  [end]

     --Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

Chris Bonds