Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:30:45 +0800
From:
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Maybe his time had already come, but it was really a shock when I opened
up my Inbox to find news that Menuhin was dead.  Only two days ago I was
shopping for CDs and I came across of one of his recordings - the recording
with George Enescu's Violin Sonata 2, and I thought, "Isn't it awesome that
such a great musician is still alive on this earth with us?" Then I thought
of his recent touching remembrance of his teacher Enescu in the sleeve
notes for a recording of the Bach B-minor Mass and wondered how the world
would remember him in time to come.  Alas he passed away too soon.  I shall
remember him always for his ground-shaking performances of the Beethoven
violin concerto and the pathos, humanity and eloquence he played it with.
The world will remember him not only as a musician - a violin prodigy with
a repertoire ranging from Bach to Schonberg, and later a conductor of the
classics - Brahms, Elgar, but also as a person of great humanity, for
example in the way he supported Furtwangler after the Second World War,
when the latter was charged with helping the Nazis.  God rest his soul.

--Derek