Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:19:09 -0600
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Just read the Tommasini article in the Times about the Shapero Symphony.

   "Yet it remains curious that Bernstein, who had been such a champion
   of the symphony, later neglected it since he continued to conduct
   Neo-Classical and neo-Romantic symphonies of less merit by composers
   like Roy Harris, David Diamond and others."

Having read that and the many postings about the Shapero, I wonder how
many out there really would agree with Tommasini's statement about Diamond
and Harris Symphonies being inferior to the Shapero.

In the last few weeks I have been going over the New York Philharmonic
programs from about 1938-1970.  Bernstein programmed the Diamond 5th and
8th with the Phil and did the 9th with another orchestra.  As far as I
know, he never repeated any of those works.  When it came to Harris, he did
the 3rd several times but the only other Harris Symphony he did was the
7th.  Does anyone else have any other information on this?

It also seemed interesting to me that the only other American Symphonies
he programmed often were the Schuman 3rd and Copland 3rd.

Karl