From:
John Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 10:27:35 EDT
Hello Bee friends,
I had a hive go queenless.  This was my fault, we injured the queen during an
inspection.  There was a few queen cells.  They hatched but for some reason
there is no queen now.  I found two eggs in cell and some eggs laid on the
sides.  I know it is queenless.  Last night I took the hive 50 feet away and
blew out all the bees just before dark.  Took the equipment and used it on
other hives.  This morning I brought in a 1 1/2 story hive that I started
from a swarm about 4 weeks ago and placed it a few feet from the spot the
queenless hive was located.  Most of the queenless bees had flown to a cement
block that their hive had sat on. There was a small pile of workers and
drowns at the spot where I shook out the bees last night. After placing the
new hive, most of the bees flew into the new hive.  I then took the cement
block with a handful of bees on it and placed them back about 50 feet again.

Now my question what are the odds that the laying workers are going to find
their way into my new hive and kill my queen?

I tried to requeen with a bought queen, that didn't work.
I have been giving these bees frames with bees and brood hoping they would
start an emergency cell.  That didn't happen.  The reason I brought in a new
hive was there had to be 5 pounds of bee out there on the lawn this morning.

I will say one thing, with no brood to tend to the bees filled the hive with
honey and drew out new foundation too. 3 deeps.

John
CT