From:
Steve Andison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:29:08 -0900
Stefan Stangaciu wrote:

>         The problem is that smoke particles are bad for us humans, if found
> in large amounts in honey.
         I agree with the idea of progress.

>         Praying is still important, including to bring the peace in our
> pretty selfish and unflexible mind, isn't it my friend?

I'll have to agree with you Stefan, that smoke particles are bad for humans.
But how much is too much for our bodies to handle? In addition there are so
many different kinds of fuels for smokers, and some, I presume, are worse
trace elements in our honey than others. But, (he says with an edge of
pragmatism creeping into his voice), I eat a great deal of smoked salmon. I
also eat a good deal of fish and fowl cooked over a wood fire. I also eat more
than a few meals off of the summer barbecue grill. I suppose that I'm
convinced that these small amounts of smoke will not shorten my life. I will
concede, however, that I may very well be wrong and will die sooner than need
be. But I'll die with a smile and a ring of barbecue sauce around my lips!

Seriously, I don't know how much of these carcinogens that our bodies can
handle via our natural defenses against them. Certainly we have inherited some
fantastic abilities to shed carcinogens and toxins, and to resist a level of
free radicals. How much is too much, and how much is permissible in exchange
for our enjoyment of life. Each of us needs to ask how "lucky" we feel, and
how much unknown risk we are willing to put on the roulette wheel of living.

I will remain somewhat in the middle regarding the importance of this issue. I
still use wood in my bee smoker. I also am unsure of the chemical residues
found in alternative methods for calming or chasing away bees while working
with them. If I understand the other residual chemical effects of your
suggested alternatives, I would be more than willing to give them a try.
(Nancy is an essential oil advocate and is pulling for you on this one).

The best of everysting to you, my friend,
Steve

PS- To Olda,
Shamans and prayers have produced some pretty inexplicable results in our
rational world. Don't underestimate that reality.
Regards

--
<HTML>
<HEAD>