From:
Stephen Westheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:08:13 -0700
Bob Chen wrote:

>I just learned this afternoon that a good friend and former colleague of
>mine has been diagnosed with a serious, possibly grave illness.

Bob asks for suggestions for happy music.

But Jim Tobin pointed out:

>You know your friend and we don't, but if I were in her situation I don't
>think I would be in a frame of mind to listen to any cheerful music of an
>upbeat sort.  . . .  What might be most welcome is CALM and pleasant
>or emotionally neutral music.

This is like the desert island question.  Bob:  maybe it would be best
to ask your friend how SHE would like to live during this most serious of
times.  Personally, I'd hope to depend on medication to get happy and calm
enough to appreciate the profundity of the situation.  I'd want to hear the
works that have the deepest meaning for me, including those of great
beauty, even heartbreaking beauty.

I had the good fortune to attend most of the concerts conducted by Fritz
Reiner in Chicago during the last three years of his life.  Everyone knew
that he was ill, and it was clear that he was conducting each work for the
last time.  They were very moving performances.  My memory is that no
attempt was made to lighten or calm the programming.

Stephen Westheimer