From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:45:23 +0000
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>BACH: Goldberg Variations on Harpsichord (I have only piano versions and,
>frankly am still struggling to fully appreciate these works).  Choices:
>Payne on BIS; Weiss on L'Empreint; Hill on M&A.

I realize Ed is looking at bargain buys in just one catalogue, so it may
be irrelevant to discuss versions not listed by him.  On the other hand.....

I still think the Leonhardt "Goldberg" is about as definitive as they get.
His timing is impeccable, and shows the ebb and flow which can be created
only by an artist who truly reaches beyond the notes to the very heart of
the music.

On the other hand, I realize that Leonhardt's purity may not be for
everybody, and I would put Ton Koopman's version way up there with the
very best.  It is more extrovert than Leonhardt, and treats the work as
an instrument for displaying Koopman's mastery of the instrument.

Just very recently, I have come across a Goldberg on harpsichord which has
given me enormous pleasure - recorded by Pierre Hantai.  I like the sound
of the instrument very much indeed.  It is a Dutch reproduction of a German
original, and it has a docile quality which somehow detracts nothing from
the incisiveness required by the Goldberg.  Hantai studied with Leonhardt
and demonstrates in this recording the same sort of fluency and
intellectual empathy with the Goldberg's that marks Leonhardt's version.

Of the versions listed by Ed I have only heard the Hill - and thought it
rather boring.  It would certainly not be my recommendation.

Jonathan