Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:20:53 -0400
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (9 lines)
To the best of my knowledge, HABS/HAER was not done for the Panama Canal itself or associated towns.  The US Army South completed HABS/HAER documentation for a number of the historic structures located on the military bases guarding the canal - USACERL has documented a dozen or more properties and New South Associates completed HABS documentation of the Gorgas Hospital complex where much of the research on yellow fever and malaria was completed. I think it can be argued that historically, the Panama Canal Commission, as a US agency implementing US policy on leased property in a foreign nation, could be considered as governed by the NHPA and other federal cultural resource regulations.  However, as part of the transfer process the authority of the PCC has shifted in the past decade from US to Panamanian personnel and the PCC itself has become far more autonomous from the US Government.  John Carlson of the Panama Canal Historical Society and a former staffer at the PCC attempted to convince the PCC of the be

There is an excellent record of the former Canal Zone at the Library of Congress including an extensive collection of historic photographs which provide excellent documentation of the canal itself.  Where HABS/HAER documentation would have been the most beneficial was within the former Canal Zone towns.  These are architectural wonders expressing many of the emerging tenets of the City Beautiful movement and featuring the architecture of some of the US' leading architects of the early 20th century - much of the historical documentation is focused on the canal itself as opposed to the social utopia which the US built around it.  Hopefully it will be maintained - I know the PCHS is talking with USAID about the prospect for funding to develop heritage tourism outreach for the former Canal Zone and its towns.

For anyone with a sincere interest in the former Canal Zone, we have a few copies of the popular history which we prepared for the Gorgas Hospital documentation which are available.  Contact me directly.

JW (Joe) Joseph 
(the opinions expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer or any other organization which I am associated with)      

ATOM RSS1 RSS2