From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:54:37 -0800
Simon Corley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

Deryk Barker wrote:

>>Sgt Pepper, incidentally, was being recorded at the same day John
>>Ogdon was at AR recording the Busoni Concerto.
>
>Strange indeed!  Just because you're mentioning this wonderful recording
>(of a wonderful and underestimated piece IMO), do you know if it has been
>reissued on CD since? I've still got the old LPs, but they're a bit tired
>now, and I haven't found any satisfying (recent) CD version yet.

The Ogdon recording was reissued by EMI some years back but has since,
alas, been deleted.

The only other recording (I have practically every one ever made) to
stand alongside Ogdon's is the Peter Donohoe/BBC SO/Mark Elder live
1988 Prom performance - also issued by EMI and alsi, I believe
deleted.

(I have a private recording of Hamelin playing it with the Montreal
SO, which makes me wish he'd record it - I also wish the BBC would
release the Ogdon/Horenstein performance from 1966).

Deryk Barker