From:
Philippa Greenwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 08:00:20 +0100
Steven Martin mentioned that he could not explain exactly WHY he does not
enjoy Brahms symphonies as much as he would Beethoven's, for example.

I agree that the symphonies are difficult to understand.  I think the
orchestral players appreciate them the most since they have to rehearse the
works so many times.  Brahms has a love for small melodic motives which he
develops thoughout the movements.  Once you sit with the score and study
the work for a while, the beauty begins to come through.

My favourite is #4 in e minor.  It is very approachable and even better if
you follow with the score!  The opening of the 1st movement is wonderful.

I have friends who are orchestral players and their favourite seems to be
Symphony # 2.  I find it less accessible.

Best wishes for 1999!

Philippa