From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:25:41 +0100
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>...  Idil Biret's traversal of the piano works on Naxos is perhaps the
>singular best value on the market and among the most appreciated works in
>my library.  Brahms' String Quartets, Trios, and Quintets are also very
>enjoyable, and get frequently spinned.  It's just that his symphonies
>drag -- sort of like Bruckner without the pulse.

Katchen's legendary complete Brahms piano works is now for sale here (in
Holland but probably elsewhere as well) at bargain price.  Also you mention
the trio's, string quartets and quintets but I miss the piano quintet and
the sextets.  As all Brahms's chamber music sound somewhat *symphonic* it's
exactly these works which IMO are most impressive (my love for op.78
notwithstanding, espeically when played by Kogan or Seidel).

Philip Peters