From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:15:44 -0500
Ian Crisp wrote:

>My wife regularly receives promotional literature about this software.
>I haven't read any of it for a few months, but if my memory is correct
>it was written for the Acorn Archimedes computers (descendants of the "BBC
>microcomputer" which UK readers may remember from long ago).  Archimedes
>machines do not run Windows.  They were amongst the first to use a high
>speed reduced instruction set (RISC) design and their graphics performance
>was exceptional in their time.  I think that Sibelius is written to avoid
>the Acorn's own operating system and address its graphics functions
>directly.  As far as I know there is no Windows version - Sibelius is
>normally sold as a package of software plus Acorn Archimedes computer &
>printer.

As a user I will recount what I know:  approximately a year ago Acorn
decided to stop advancing their workstations, the Risc Acorn was the end
of the line.  Sibelius, seeing the hand writing on the wall simultaneously
lied to its customers about its intent to produce a windows version (so as
not to cannibalise current sales) and furiously began Windows and Mac ports
of its software.  The Windows version should be shipping and the Mac and
Acorn versions will be shipping soon.

Sibelius is very useful for people who enter scores by playing a keyboard
and then edit the results.  The program is fast, makes editing of already
entered data easy and formats broadly - it is superior to any other
shipping product as a copyist tool.  This being said - it is still based
in traditional notation and time concepts, people doing electronic music
or Penderecki style graphic scores are better off elsewhere.

Its file size is very small, and there is a plug in for browsers that use
Windows to view scores over the internet, this makes it ideal for people
who are selling sheet music over the internet - one can provide WYSIWYG
samples integrated in with ones e-commerce offerings.  A Mac version of
the plug in is also promised.

Bottom Line:  An excellent product from a company that treats the musician
badly.  A very common problem in the music software world.  Coda Music
technologies, Mark of the Unicorn and several others are as abusive of the
musicians' trust, but know they can get away with it because the musician
desperately needs productivity tools.

Stirling S Newberry