From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:20:01 -0500
Alan Briker wrote:

>The answer to your question really depends on your level of familiarity
>with the works.  All the performances are certainly adequAte for one just
>becoming acquainted with this music.  Then, if you really like it, you can
>get e.g.  the Rubinstein in #2..... SNIP......  But if you don't already
>know these sym.  its a decent way to get started for the price.

This bothers me a bit and maybe we should start a new thread.  I have
always felt that the recording that one gets to know first will, at some
level, be the interpretation that is used to judge all subsequent versions.
This is not always tthe case, and also feel that *only* after quite a few
years of listening to CM, is it easier to become more objective about
interpretations.  Judging, loving and becoming familiar with CM takes a
lot of experience that can come only with time, IM not-so HO>

Also -  Lindsey Orcutt wrote about the Brahms Symphonys:

>The only set I own, after much consideration (and re-selling cd's to get
>a little extra cash!  GASP!) is William Steinberg's Brahms set with the
>Pittsburgh SO (On MCA Classics).  They may be out of print, but if you can
>find them, the sound quality and musical nuances are excellent.

I have these 2 CD's, on the MCA label with a 1988 copywrite date, and
have always thought that the sound was awful.  Most shrill and harsh.
Maybe some other label has re-mastered and re-issued them and that is
why Lindsey finds the sound excellent.  True???

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL