From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:14:35 -0500
Mong H. Jong wrote:

>Could here add the vocalist...  Leonard Warren had a heart attack in the
>middle of singing Verdi's "la forza del destino" and died on stage!!
>Dramatically,that's really a place to die for.  Anymore?

Not a long time ago - a couple of seasons - at the Met, a singer in
Janacek's The Makropoulos case had a fatal heart attack while singing
something about life being short (I don't recall exactly, but it was an
extremely peculiar coincidence).  He was standing on a ladder, as the
stage instructions require, had a heart attack and fell off the ladder.

That production had bad luck:  the first performance was called off (I
think) because of a snow storm, the second performance was interrupted by
the accident described above.  THat must have been winter 95/96 - the next
two winters were very mild here in the East Coast.

Feel free to correct me on the details, since my memory of this is hazy.
I can't even recall the singer's name.

-Margaret