From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:52:40 +1200
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>What's so simple about writing a string quartet?

Or what's so complex? Would Occam's Razor be of any use?

>By the way, what about string quartets with the addition of voice or some
>obbligato instrument? Are those theatrical gimmicks as well?

Of course, indeed, yes, naturally, for how not?

>What about Stockhausen's other works like Gruppen, Stimmung, Gesang der
>Juenglinge, Donnerstag, and so on - in other words, the works that people
>have said they liked?

All rather interesting works.  I can't quite remember the source of the
speculation or rumour or whatever that Stockhausen now considers himself
to be an extraterrestrial ambassador (which fact I simply find rather
amusing).

Geoffrey Gaskell [log in to unmask]
http://freeweb.digiweb.com/music/Gustav_Mahler/
"A Fairly Inarticulate and Average Bloke"