From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:08:55 PDT
Philip Peters wrote:

>Well, while agreeing that the Mosaiques did some extraordinary Haydn
>and also admiring their Beethoven op.18 (5,6) I was rather disappointed
>by their Mozart *Haydn quartets* where I feel they were relatively
>superficial.  Any input?

I didn't find anything superficial about their Mozart at all.  The
Mosaiques are just a superb period instrument string quartet, probably the
best in the business, followed by the Salomon, Festetics, and the Turner
string quartet.

One recording of the Mosaiques I have not heard is their account of
the Mendelssohn string quartets.  Any opinions? I have the Hyperion
set performed by the Coull string quartet; I'm not enamored with the
performance, but that could be the music itself.  I've always found
Mendelssohn's music to be of variable quality.  I do have a Hyperion
recording of Mendelssohn's string quintets and like them much more than
the quartets.

Don Satz