From:
Noboru Inoue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:49:55 +0900
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Noboru Inoue wrote:
>
>>I think...  Music is not composed by "composers", but discovered by them
>>from space.  As a sculptor finds a statue of Budda hidden in a tree.
>
>When I first read this I thought "whoa", too mystical for me!  But after
>thinking about it, there's something to it.

The story of sculptor is taken from a short story about famous sculptor
in Japan 1000 years ago, written(not created) by Soseki Natsume. (A novel
of him was a favorite of Mr.  Glenn Gould, I heard.) Leaving from this
story, isn't it natural thinking that man is made of, ie is a composite,
of nature(i.e.  outer world), much less the product(e.g.  music) of
him/her? Since man is a part of nature, where nothing new happens.

Something lets man make(we call this "create") a novel or music, or a
theory of relativity, etc.  However, all theories including arts have
been there even at the big ban.  Bach for examle discovered some of them.

Is this a mystical view?

Noboru Inoue