From:
Ian Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:41:25 +0100
I haven't followed the thread, but I understand there have been calls for
suggestions on versions of Schumann's Dichterliebe.

The version which I would strongly recommend is that by Olaf Baer and
Geoffrey Parsons, released by EMI in 1986.

If you are interested in hearing a tenor voice sing the cycle, try Ian
Bostridge's version on EMI, released last year.  I think the pianist is
Julian Drake, but I don't have the CD to hand, so this needs checking.

No Lieder enthusiast's collection wouold be complete without a version by
Fischer-Dieskau.  I have the Deutsche Grammophon recording with Eschenbach
(made in the mid-1970s), though critical opinion has generally favoured
Fischer-Dieskau's recording with Alfred Brendel made for Philips in circa
1984.  The latter is a very late recording, so care is needed before
purchasing it.  I don't possess a copy myself.

One thing I can assure everyone is that this is wonderful music.  Getting
to hear different performances can only enrich one's pleasure and
fulfilment.

I am very grateful to those lst members who've highlighted the historical
performances of Dichterliebe.  I shall endeavour to purchase one or two of
these.

Ian Foster