From:
Frank en Janneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:51:49 +0100
Jon:

>One of the big gaps in my CDs is Chopin, and it occurs to me that he
>is one composer who would particularly benefit by being done on period
>instruments.  I know there are many excellent recordings on modern pianos,
>but I am sure that a composer who was so sensitive to the tone colors of
>the pianos of his time would sound very different when played on such an
>instrument.  Can anyone recommend any such disks?

There is a beautiful double cd with Mazurka's played on a Pleyel from
1847 by Cor de Groot.  It is quite different from what we are used to.
The articulation is very fine, and is more or less a result from the
instrument, which sounds transparent.  De Groot uses a little bit rubato,
that serves the music well.  In fact, it is practically only the Mazurkas
in which Chopin prescribed it.  The recording is about 10 years old, by the
Haags Gemeentemuseum.  HGM CD 04/05.  I don't know if it is still
available.

Frank