From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:17:15 -0400
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]> replied to James Zehm:

>>Radovan Karaszic (sp?) - the leader of the serbian bosnians is a composer.
>
>He is also under indictment as a war criminal (AFAIK).
>
>This is good: after the discussion, a few weeks ago, of Hitler as a failed
>artist but successful monster, we may now have an example of someone who is
>successful in both endevours.

Karadzic's profession is (or was) psychiatrist, if I remember correctly.
He may have composed, but I don't think that he has ever been a significant
representative of either Serbian or Bosnian music...  He certainly doesn't
deserve to be better known than S.Mokranjac, Stevan Hristic, Ljubica Maric,
Milan Ristic, Dusan Radic (not as an artist, at least -- his crimes ought
to be publicized)!

Strange that Hitler and Karadzic both "deserve" more messages on a musical
list than four major Albanian composers put together (see my previous
posts).  Oh well.

(By the way, Karadzic is not even recognized by all Serb Bosnians as their
leader.  Maybe in Pale, but much less in Banja Luka.)

As we hear a lot about a "Yugoslav city" named Novi Sad these days, this
town has been a significant centre for modern music for many years.  One
of its main composers, Rudolf Bruci, whose 2d symphony (Sinfonia Lesta) is
a masterpiece, now lives in Zagreb, AFAIK.  Novi Sad also is the capital
city of Voivodina, which was an autonomous region, just like Kosovo, until
Milosevic decided that there would be no more autonomous regions in Serbia.
I wonder what will remain of its cultural activity and ethnic diversity
(largely diminished since it lost its special status)...  after all, who
remembers right now that there are people of Hungarian, Romanian, Croatian
and other origin in that area!

Best regards,

Thanh-Tam Le