From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:12:52 +1000
Peter Varley wrote:

>The Welsh national anthem is "Hen Wlad fy Nhadau" ("Land of my Fathers" in
>English).  I think it would count as a Great Tune, but perhaps I'm biased.
>
>BTW, the March of the Men of Harlech appears in the last movement of an
>attractive piece by Edward German (IIRC the title is "Welsh Rhapsody").
>The slow movement is based on another Great Tune, "David of the White
>Rock".

It is called Welsh Rhapsody and is part of a collection on a CD originally
on EMI and last heard of on Classics for Pleasure.  The other works are
Smyth's Wreckers Overture, MacCunn's Land of the Mountain and Flood and
Harty's With the Wild Geese.  Well played and recorded, some very enjoyable
C19 rarities.

Richard Pennycuick