From:
Krzysztof Lorentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:53:52 +0200
Steve M. wrote:

>I saw a set of Beethoven Piano Concertos in a cutout bin today.  The
>pianist was Solomon and the recording was on EMI.  The price was right, how
>are these recordings? It looked like the dates were pretty old (late 40s,
>early 50s) is the sound reasonable (I can take old mono recordings up to a
>point but I have my limits)

The sound is quite good and the interpretation - extraordinary.  Go there
immediately, pay any price!  Try to find his recording of late B's sonatas
(EMI References), Brahms' concerti a.o.  works (EMI Testament) and his EMI
Artist's Profile (Beethoven's 1st concerto, Grieg, Schumann).  Enjoy!

(CD-shops-nickname Solomon because of endless questions about S's
recordings)

Krzysztof Lorentz