From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:46:39 PDT
I haven't been closely following this thread.  If I am missing something,
I ask the indulgence of the members.

Andrew Carlan wrote the following as an example of Farcical Music

>1. Haydn, Surprise Symphony. Well almost any Haydn symphony.

Lately, I have been gradually exploring Haydn's enormous output so I can't
say for sure, but I don't understand how "almost any Haydn symphony" is
"farcical." I have several CD's of quartets, some symphonies, some piano
concertos and piano sonatas.  I have always thought of them as examples
of bright, cheerful, lively, intelligent music.  Farcical, never.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, New Jersey