From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:55:18 +0100
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>It would be far more interesting for me (and many other members of this
>forum) to read WHY you think a piece is less 'inspired' or more '= brilliant'
>than another.  Just insulting the taste of fellow list members and
>dismissing compositions with crude and unenlightening words is not my idea
>of a decent discussion about music.

It did not start off like that.  I said I kept falling asleep during VW3.
Then someone said I will burn in hell and that he fell asleep during the
1812.  I said that was allowed because it was crap.  Then someone said
that they liked it and that it was different from other pieces as a
contradiction to me calling it crap.  I then made my comment that I might
get caught up in it in a live performance as entertainment but as music it
is crap.  I explained why.  I am not insulting his tastes, I believe I was
in fact supporting them in an odd kind of way - just saying that the art
of composition needed to create that thing is minimal.  It is built out
of god-awful tunes (subjective I know), worn to the bone orchestral
effects and cymbal clashes.

David Stewart