From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:35:21 -0400
Nicholas J Roberts wrote:

>I recently came across this work by Tuur and thought 'Why are so many
>Estonian composers only just coming out into the light?'.  The music is
>sublime.  How much was due to Soviet repression and the like earlier in the
>century I don't know.  Perhaps you could shed some light on the matter.

I would pose the opposite question.  Why is it that so many of the
composers who've come to light in recent years, and conductors, have come
from Estonia? Why not Lithuania or Latvia, Estonia's Baltic neighbours?
They were subject to much the same influence, for good or bad, that
Estonia had under Communism.

Richard, who invites you to visit his music, outdoors and other WWW sites
at:  http://infoweb.magi.com/~richard/