From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:16:06 -0500
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>This listener is highly impressed...

So's this one.  Jordan Schweigel originally asked for comparisons with
other interpretations, which I can't make, since this material's all new
to me.  That said, I'm liking all I've bought, including Bernstein's own
(Symphony #2 [Foss on pno], Serenade [Stern on vln]); Symphonies by R
Thompson (#3), Roy Harris (#2) and Diamond (#4); and some very engaging
works from Lopatnikoff, Dallapiccola and Shapero.  I suggest auditioning
the jazz album:  too much damnfool chattering for my tastes ...I'd always
rather have music on my CDs.

Gregoire goes on to say:

>These performances on the current Aaron Copland disc with Sym #3 and Sym.
>for Organ and Orchestra (63155) have been out of print since the early
>'80s...

Can anyone tell me how this version of the Organ Symphony compares with
Leonard Slatkin's:  St Louis SO (RCA Red Seal 9026-68292-2), Simon Preston
on organ? That 1996 CD also includes Copland's Dance Symphony (1929), the
Short Symphony (or #2, from 1932-33) and Orchestral Variations (1957).
Rodeo, etc., never did much for me, but this release brought some
impressive Copland to my attention.  Any other opinions on it out there?
Next steps for this Copland neophyte?

As for these Bernstein re-releases, I'm with Bernard Gregoire:

>Keep em comin'

Bert Bailey