From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:46:05 PST
I am somewhat hesitant to bring this subject up, because women have
certainly been discriminated against concerning their opportunities as
composers and musicians.  The Women's Philharmonic has provided women
composers and musicians outlets to display their talents - that's all
to the good.

However, it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  "Group identity"
creates the discrimination, then it is used to correct the discrimination.
Where does it end? Regardless of the source, we create and maintain
judgements of individuals based on their identity as part of a particular
group - that is not good.  At its worst extreme, this process results in
genocide.

I would think that in an enlightened society, each member is judged solely
on individual criteria.  How can we get to that point when we are all
lumping individuals together as part of larger groupings?

Don Satz