From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:42:47 -0600
Donald Satz:

>Some good Handel conductors are McGegan, Pinnock, Manze, Gardiner, Jacobs,
>and Standage.  But, standing tall above all others is Robert King who
>records for Hyperion.  His Handel discography is fairly extensive and keeps
>growing - I have all his recordings and treasure each one.  King has an
>uncanny way with dynamics and pulse that, IMHO, enriches every Handel work
>he touches.

I'd also add Raymond Leppard and early (I stress this) Neville Marriner,
both of whom got a nice "bounce" from the music.  Leppard seems to me a
vastly underrated musician in general.  His harpsichord playing for
Barbirolli's recording of Dido and Aeneas - though it would probably give
those so inclined an opportunity to sniff - is some of the most imaginative
and delightful outside of Landowska.

He was so good in Baroque music, and that was about all people would
hire him for, that he had to declare a moratorium so he could do other
repertoire.  I also treasure his recording of Bach's harpsichord concerti
for Philips and of Thomson's Mother of Us All.

Steve Schwartz