From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:34:52 PST
John Detwiler wrote:

>When listening to music, I often hear moments, melodies, specific changes
>in harmony, but not the whole picture.  Even when seriously listening,
>I find it difficult not just to concentrate on one part at a time.

I think that John listens the way most people listen to music.  However, as
in a novel, the chapters/movements do connect to one another, assuming some
expertise on the part of the novelist/composer.

My recommendation is to listen to the first movement of a work and give
it some thought before moving on to the next movement.  Think about the
feelings the movement elicited from you, what themes you think the composer
was conveying, etc.  Then keep repeating the process.  Or, you could read
about the work and have the connections explained to you.  Sometimes, the
liner notes do just that.

Don Satz