From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:42:24 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>I am also getting increasingly fed up with Borders, Towers, Blockbuster,
>etc.  Chain stores do offer significant advantages over owner-run
>establishments.

Having managed several record stores, I can give you some insight into the
source of your frustrations Don, the same frustrations that I had during my
retail tenure.  I cannot agree that there are any significant advantages to
chain stores.  On the whole they are just as overpriced as any other, and
with the possible exception of Tower, they are stocked by incompetent bean
counters who have no real interest or knowledge in music of any kind or
genre, especially classical.

>They primarily consist of greater volume and lower price.
>But, consumers pay a very high "price" for these advantages.

Find me a Tower, Blockbuster or Borders that is equitably priced and I will
buy you the finest dinner in Dallas.

>Service across the board tends to be poor:  it is not individualized,
>responsive, considerate, or responsible.  Why would it? You deal with
>employees who do not have a immediate financial stake in the company.
>Also, all major decisons are made on a regional or national level, hardly
>a process that will pay attention to the individual.

Absolutely.  And the people that make the decisions have barely enough
firing brain cells to keep their hearts and lungs going.

>In chain stores, the employees are either lacking in knowledge and
>insight or, in those cases where they are very good, decision making is
>out of their hands.  At the local Blockbuster Music, the primary classical
>department manager is personable, loaded with knowledge, and ready to do
>a good job for each customer.  However, the classical inventory keeps
>shrinking, and the new release section is now minimal.

Blockbuster has one buyer for classical, new age, easy listening
and soundtracks to cover the needs of hundreds of stores.  The former
classical buyer for BBM is a personal friend of mine and the horror stories
he related were incredible.  The buyer has no budget, in the present case
little knowledge, and certainly not enough man hours to cover all of the
new releases offered in classical music each month.  It is no wonder they
have nothing.  BBM has been under deplorable management for 5 years or so
now.  One stupid decision followed another.  (I know, I worked there!!!)
They have recently been purchased by Wherehouse from California, and I hope
that they improve.  I will say though that with the pathetic way that the
company treated its field employees, they deserve every failure that they
get and I hope that they die a slow and painful death and have their inner
organs fed to starving wolves.

I have found that the brand new Tower store here in Dallas is very fine,
staffed with excellent employees and a great selection.  My only complaint
is the high prices.  I have found that my needs are best met online at CD
now, their customer service is impeccable and their prices are usually
fair.  I have recently also rejoined the Musical Heritage Society, where I
take advantage of their cheaper prices for the expensive import labels that
they licence.

Kevin Sutton