From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:46:16 -0600
John Dalmas:

>An interesting list, though I am not familiar, as perhaps I should be, with
>Libby Larsen and Aaron Rabushka (Aaron, sorry, I will correct that shortly).

Start with her "Water Music" Symphony, a work of high energy; and with
his Concerto for Harp and Chamber Orchestra (on Vienna New Masters.) Not
a recent work, and written when the composer was startlingly young,
Rabushka's is a superb piece.

>To jump into the list off the top of my head, I might ask why Adams and not
>Reich, why Gubaidulina and not Ustvolskaya?

Adams has demonstrated surprising changes in his composing history.
Ustvolskaya I am not familiar with.  The list was off the top of my head,
and could have been much longer.  I included one composer I don't even like
particularly (Ades) but who is highly admired by some.

Jim Tobin