From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:54:03 -0500
Dave wrote:

>To say nothing of Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante defunte" and Debussy's
>"Nocturnes."

I actually considered the Nocturnes as one of my three examples, but
after checking found the first two in the triptych were completed long
before 1899, were the only two performed at the work's premiere, and the
two even today that are sometimes performed without the third in the
standard repertory.

The Ravel I never considered because it is a short work for piano and was
not orchestrated until 1910.

The post was designed not to set up a Gotcha!  Game but to elicit some
prediction about the state of Classical Music and what we call "standard
repertory" a hundred years down the line.

John Dalmas