From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:08:05 -0500
Eric Schissel wrote:

>How does the recording on Vox of the Rosza first quartet compare with the
>recording of the same quartet on Laurel (coupled, there, with the same
>composer's 2nd quartet and duo for cello and piano?)

'Wish I knew.  I've been trying to get my hands on that disk for 2-3 years
now.  Laurel 842, right? It's been on my wish list for so long I've got the
# memorized!  (I thought it was a Rhapsody for Violin & Cello..?) I heard
it'd been re-released, but my special orders guy can't seem to get it.

I haven't been as impressed with most of Rozsa's chamber works, or at least
the interpretations I've heard, as with his concertos -- the sole exception
being this SQ.  While the Vox sound may not be DDD, this interpretation is
good enough in my books, to say the very least.

Bert Bailey