From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:16:13 +0100
Tadeusz Drzazgowski wrote:

>One of my favourites kind of music is this one which is dark, ...
>
>...  My english is awful but I think that you underestand me.

Please stop apologising; you are getting along splendidly!

You suggested:

> Brahms works (but which?)

I'd have great difficulties in finding any truly dark moments in what I
consider one of the most luminous, humanist composers, but I guess you
would have to look for it in the Lieder.  The '4 Ernste Gesaenge' (op.121)
have some pretty dark moments in them, and were composed at the end of
Brahms' life when most of his close friends had died.

I have three suggestions for dark music by other composers, all from the
first half of the 20th century.  Rachmaninov's 'Isle of the dead' evokes
a dark and brooding atmosphere, made more sinister by the alternating 5/4
beat.  What are we going to find once our boat lands? Since Gustav Mahler's
symphonies span the extreme width of human emotions, there are some pretty
dark moments there too.  Examples are the 6th, middle movement of the 7th,
and the beginning of the last movement of the 10th.  Light and darkness is
one of the pervading themes in Bartok's 'Bluebeard's Castle' (I think the
stage directions include instructions on changing light intensities for
each scene).  The hall of tears and final room conjure up a pretty haunting
atmosphere.

Ruben