From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:46:30 -0600
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Does anyone else know this composer? Have any favorites? This is the first
>piece of his that I have encountered.
>
>And who is Ivan?  A relative?

Alexander Tcherepnin, son of Nicolai and father of Ivan, wrote some
wonderful music.  He was also a fine teacher, or so says my friend composer
Robert Muczynski, who studied with Tcherepnin for several years.

My favorite A. Tcherepnin works include the 4th Symphony (the Marco Polo
disc is quite good, almost as good as the Munch broadcast); 2nd Symphony
and the Bagatelles (a favorite teaching piece for beginning piano
students).  I don't care for the commercial recording of the 3rd Symphony.
An old broadcast performance with Sevitzky conducting shows it to be a good
work.

Karl