From:
Young Kwak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:31:50 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>This is just my personal accounting of the greatest composers of piano
>concertos in order of preference:
>
>1.  Mozart - Not only did he write so many, but they are all gems.  Nos.
>17 through 24 are masterpieces.  The best by a wide margin.

Couldn't agree more.  However, my favorite is the 25th, perhaps the most
underrated concerto in history.  Great versions by Kovacevich, Jando, and
Fleischer.

>The two notable no-shows are Liszt and Tchaikovsky.  For me, their
>concertos are romantically "over the top."

Although I may not disagree with inherent mastery of their concertos, for
me, it all depends on the actual performances.  For example, although I
think the Brahms concertos (I very much like Serkin/Szell for the 1st and
Horowitz/Tosconini, Richter/Leinsdorf, Pollini/Abbado for the 2nd) are only
second to Mozart's, I love Argerich's Ravel Gmaj/Rach 3/Chopin 1, Kissin's
Chopin 1, Horowitz's Tchaik 1, Beroff's Ravel Left-hand more than any other
performances of the Brahms's 2 masterpieces.

Young
Albert Einstein College of Medicine