From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:58:03 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Jon Johanning ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>I had been meaning for some time to pose the question of what MP3 might do
>>for CM to the computer experts on the list (I know you're there!). I keep
>>hearing about it in connection with popular music, but little so far about
>>classical music and MP3. Is the fidelity not quite good enough yet?
>
>Not really, particularly if you use the kind of aggressive compression
>currently being touted as MP3's great strenght.

Aggressive levels of compression with MP3 are definitely poor, however the
standard level is about the same quality as MiniDisc.  As a replacement for
hi fidelity music, MP3 is not it.  As a means of disseminating musical
performances it is very promising.

Stirling S Newberry