From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:01:10 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>There are . . . some interesting bits set to the Barcarolle from "Tales
>of Hoffman."

Yes, it is just one among several historical inaccuracies and
improbabilities in the film that were pointed out to me (all of which in
no way detract from its worth IMO).  In 1945 the Montserrat Caballe-Shirley
Verrett duet of the Barcarolle had not yet been recorded, and in any case
was not issued on 78rpm.  But I know of no recording of the Barcarolle then
available Benigni might have substituted that would have recalled
effectively the performance the couple attended.

It is a mystery why Benigni chose a work that would have been "verboten"
under the Nazis, unless it is to further the imagery in some way.  (Another
riddle the Italians figure out immediately but the Germans can't solve?) Or
an inside joke having something to do with Arezzo (about which there are
several).  Perhaps after Benigni wins all his awards for the movie he will
explain it.

>Are/were valve trombones more popular in Italy, more so than the slide
>models?

Valve trombones are the norm in military and in village and town bands
throughout the country.  These bands are marching bands, and the valve
trombone is considered technically more efficient.

John Dalmas