From:
William Boletta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 06:24:10 -0800
I am visiting New York City, and attended a performance of the NYC Opera's
current production of Madama Butterfly.  My seat was on the side in a box
high up above the stage and orchestra.  I couldn't see all of the stage,
but I could peer right into the pit.  I was astonished to see two of the
three trumpet players and two of the three trombonists as well reading
books, newspapers and magazazines during their rests.  Not just once or
twice, but during every act.  One trombonist (who I could swear was reading
TIME) almost missed his entrances several times.  I have never seen such
behavior anywhere.  Is this considered acceptable behavior among pit
musicians these days? I know that the brass play infrequently during many
pieces (including Buttefly), but doesn't such behavior bespeak a kind of
cynicism about the music (or the job!).

Bill Boletta