From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 17:14:38 PST
I think it would be useful to think about the mentality within many
corporations.  People have goals, and they 'darn' well better meet them,
or find another way to pay college tuition.  It's no surprise movie music
is marketed so aggressively, with the amount spent marketing movies, the
spin off to the music is an obvious source of income.

Record companies need to get attention.  The music of a well known movie is
an obvious market since so much has already been spent getting potential
buyers attention.

Personalities are another way to focus attention.  This reminds me of
a comment I think was made in a biography of Bruno Walter I read years
ago.  Essentially, Walter and contemporaries who were also highly gifted
musicians went into the 'hinterlands' and worked.  Walter, Klemperer and
others spent years conducting, often in Opera Houses few of us ever heard
of.  They could conduct several operas a week.  But, they could also make
mistakes, and who knew.  The usual career after this apprenticeship was
into the larger cities.  But, by then these were fairly seasoned people,
musically.

Today, it seems a talented performer doesn't get the chance to 'practice'
out of the way.  Spotlights appear on many talented people at an early age.
Then, why take risks when the cost could be the end of a beginning career.

I can't help but be impressed at the number of recordings recommended on
this list that are over 20 or so years old.  If the stereo age began in,
oh say 1958, its just over 40 years old.  I bet most of the recordings I
see recommended here are pre 1978.  (Except of course, Brendel playing
Beethoven Sonatas.) Is there a difference in the performers between these
2 periods.  Does it impact the recording industry?

Anyway, I'm real happy to see so many wonderful performances sold a bargain
prices, because to me, there isn't really that much competition.  I think
it's difficult for recording companies to pursue activities out of the
'love of music' despite it being in my view detrimental in the longer run.

"Tom Connor" <[log in to unmask]>