From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:00:19 -0500
I wrote:

>>I have a Pye LP of these two with Barbirolli's first Enigma with Halle
>>and his first Cello Concerto with Navarra.  ...

And Tony Duggan replied:

>I like the Enigma here very much, more than Roger.

A lot of people do.  Today, I listened to Barbirolli's 1954 recording of
the Second Symphony with Halle, made about the same time as the Enigma, I
think.  I don't care for that performance either and for the same reasons.
Again, I much prefer the remake.  It's all a matter of style, I think.

>>A more reasonable possiblity is on Conifer.  Edward Downes conducts Enigma,
>>and Alexander Baillie is the cellist for the concerto.  ...
>
>I'm glad this is still available.  I didn't think it was and certainly
>is an alternative to the Menhuin coupling.

Whoops.  Sorry.  Well, actually, it is available, but at Berkshire Record
Outlet.  (CD Connection, for example, doesn't have it.) Berkshire is a
cutout house for the most part, which means, yes, it's available, but if
you want it, get it now.  When they run out of something, that often means
it's gone, period.

Roger Hecht