From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:05:59 -0500

Tom Connor wrote:

>I left Boston about the time Roger arrived.  ...  Once critic at the time
>criticized a Brahms Symphony he took on tour.  The comment was that at the
>end of the tour the Brahms was getting to be pretty good.  Seems to me to
>be a lot of practice required for a conductor of a leading orchestra.

To me, too. But I'm not surprised at all.

>The concerts I remember most were led by Colin Davis or Claudio Abbado.
>There was some music there.

Also agreed.  There were people then, if I recall correctly, who wanted
to see Davis get the orchestra at the end of Ozawa's contract, whenever
that was.  But again, if I recall correctly, I think there was ill feeling
between Davis and the BSO when he ended his relationship here.  I don't
know why or in which direction it went.  (I forget if he was just a guest
or an "official guest" or what.) I remember him conducting here in the late
70s before I came, but I don't recall a single concert with Davis leading
the BSO since.

Roger Hecht