From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 08:25:54 -0500
Norman Reppingen invites comments on:

>How does smell, the smelling of the rosesoil, cedar, or limette
>influence the creation, or also important, the reception of music?

An interesting question.  However, I'd like to turn it on its head:
what about music that tries to capture the sense of smell.  I immediately
thought of Mahler's setting of "Ich atmet einen Lindenduft" (I inhaled the
scent of lilac).  Can anyone think of others.

The relationship between music and scent - a fascinating topic.  And
not too far off-topic, I hope is a recommendation for Patrick Susskind's
Perfume: the story of a murderer.  This is all about the world of scent.
A totally transforming book.

Cheers,

Eric